Saturday, March 31, 2012

Writing Sci-fi/ Fantasy

I have a YA fantasy idea in my head that I absolutely love, but find myself very afraid to write it. I think it's because I'm afraid that it won't stand up to the standards of what fantasy readers expect. I do not want to insult anyone by having a concept that is not up to par to fantasy readers. In my mind, the idea is wonderful, but I'm not a die-hard fantasy fan. I'm more of a contemporary romance girl. I don't mind a paranormal/ sci-fi twinge, but I like things on Earth, in a time that I know about or can relate to. I love stories set in the south or the 1830s to 1950s. I love a story that has the feeling of 1890 but is somewhat modernized so I could envision myself there. So my question is should a writer stick to what they know or venture out to other genres with the hope that it doesn't flop?
Many of the greatest writers haven't. Stephen King doesn't write epic romance and Nicholas Sparks doesn't write horror. Jerry Spinelli was known for his YA or MG works that were about social acceptance and even Stephenie Meyers stays in her lane in paranormal romance. But is it possible for an author to transcend genres successfully.

According to www.publishersmarketplace.com, JK Rowling is currently working on an adult novel. If she succeeds, she has bridged the gap of authors known for one style of writing completely changing what their skill set is. Are there others that have done this? Is it possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment