Friday, February 24, 2012

Slim Pickings in YA Fiction


I went on a hiatus from reading young adult fiction. I haven't had the time to invest in reading after having my daughter and finally decided to pick back up the passion. When I finally did visit my local Barnes and Nobles or the virtual store on my phone, I became so sad because I was so sad at the slim pickings. I feel like little Twilight babies are everywhere because of the amount of paranormal/ fantasy books that line the shelves! The amount of books is overwhelming, however, I'd love a book that wasn't about a magical school or human-vampire-werewolf love triangle. I was determined that I wasn't going to read another book that anything to do with magic, vampires, and werewolves, hence the reason I said there are slim pickings in the young adult world.

Vampires and Werewolves were cool when Stephanie Meyers wrote about them, but after four books, four movies, (and one more on the way) posters of a pasty white guy and Jacob <3 everywhere, I am all vampire'd out. I'm sure there were vampire love stories before her's but hers was the one that caught on and she beat the idea to death. Let it die.

I can always count on Jenny Han and Jennifer Echols, but I am looking for more contemporary teen literature that isn't doused in drama and lit on fire with angst. For once, I want the perfect teen romance/ coming-of-age story that isn't overly paranormal/ suicidal/ dark/ or otherwordly.

No comments:

Post a Comment